I know Fall is coming when I start hearing acorns drop from the trees and tumble down our tin roof. It is a very comforting sound that brings with it visions of flannel shirts, jackets, boots, hot chocolate and curling up on the couch with a good book and the sound of football in the background…all the cozy comforts of being at home on a cool, crisp day. It’s always a welcomed change after what seems like an eternity of 90 plus degrees with humidity you can cut with a knife.
I can’t believe September has come and gone so quickly. I gave myself quite a number of goals to work on and all in all, I think I did pretty well. It wasn’t perfect, but its progress. I also discovered some things about myself along the way.
- Controlling my Anger: The thought of hammering a nail in my fence worked. No mommy temper tantrums. Now that is not to say I was Mary Poppins, all smiles and songs. I did raise my voice a couple of times and toss a utensil in the sink with a little extra force, but no melt-downs!
- 52 Weeks of Thanks: I mailed out 2 cards this month and have a third one ready to go out tomorrow.
- Water: I’m up to 20 oz a day working on 30. I know this is not great but its a start.
- Taking a Lunch to Work: I got off to a bad start. I forgot my lunch at home several times but ordered a cute new bag for less than $10 that sits next to my purse reminding me to get my lunch out of the fridge. Since then I’ve done well. I’ve also completed my 3rd consultation with a nutritionist helping me establish some healthy eating habits. This is the cookbook she recommended for me. I have done pretty well, but still have days I fall off the wagon and eat a bunch of junk, like a child running loose in Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. I also ordered The Meal Plan from the Lazy Genius to help simplify the bottomless pit of meal planning. It was only offered for a limited time but if you listen to her podcasts or read her blog she tells you how its done, and I think its….well….genius! I’m working on a post about nutrition to share with you what I have learned. That should be up later in October after my last consultation.
- Blog Posts: My goal was 2 posts a month and this will be my 3rd because I AM LOVING WRITING!!! I am so thankful for No Sidebar and The Houston Flood Project for my very first publications and thankful for all of you who have visited my site, read my posts, liked or commented and have started following. I hope to find out more about you as I continue this journey.
- Road Trip: No road trip this month. We had a short one planned but the rain kept us home. I have a couple ideas for next month. My goal is to put them in my calendar and do them!!
- Read the Bible: I missed the first 4 days in Sept but caught up quickly. I’m using the Read the Bible in a Year reading plan that is in my Bible. Sometimes I miss on the weekends but I make them up on Monday.
- Time: I have done pretty well not wasting time. The Moment app has helped but some days I am just dog tired and don’t want to do anything but waste time. The newest update on my iPhone included an app called Screen Time. I’m liking that as well.
- Money: I have not tracked my spending at all this month so I don’t have a good measure. I can say; however, that my when I have made purchases other than necessities, its been for experiences or something needed to achieve a goal and not for useless stuff or impulse purchases. I’ll make October my baseline.
- Trash: I haven’t counted how many bags of trash I have produced each day, but I did forget to take the container out to the curb one week on trash day (We have pick up once a week.) and was able to fit 2 weeks of trash in the container that used to fit only one. I also bought a water filter and while it takes a little effort to refill, I haven’t minded because I know it’s worth it.
- List of 10 Things I Want To Do: I have my list written – I have not completed anything on the list but have started to make progress toward some of those things. I’ll be sharing that later as well and really want to know what is on your list.
What I have planned for October….
In addition to continuing my current goal list, I’m wanting to try some new templates and jazz up my site a bit. It’s starting to feel a little like home and I want to decorate! I’m also itching to add my own photos to blog posts like the one on this post. I was a very active and successful amateur photographer for about 20 years and then after I got pregnant and had my son, I simply lost interest and sold all my outdated camera equipment. I’m going to purchase some basic equipment and I’m hoping to get that feeling of flow I used to get when shooting, the same one I now get when I’m writing. I’m also looking to re-open my Etsy shop.
I’d love to know about your goals and if you are making progress toward achieving them.
Until next time, Be Well!