Why are laundry and dishes like Gremlins and constantly multiplying? Only seconds after my dishwasher beeps indicating its ready to be unloaded, do I notice the sink is overflowing with dirty dishes. After I fold that last towel, breathe a sigh of relief, and imagining putting my feet up on the sofa and reading a book, I notice that the hamper is full again, and I only have 3 people in my house! Why does it seem like it takes hours to fold a load of laundry, you know, the one that has been “fluffed” in the dryer 4 times. Ugh.
Stop the insanity!!!!
Here is how I do it. Its not rocket science, but I distract myself! I put on a playlist and set the timer for 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the task. My playlist is up-beat songs that put me in a good mood, get me moving, and the timer gives me a challenge. Many times I find that I complete these mundane tasks before the timer goes off. I can clean my kitchen in 20 mins and usually fold a load of laundry in about 15 and then get to things I really want to do.
Here’s my “Laundry and Dishes” playlist.
- Cut You Loose (feat. Ringo Star) – Kenny Wayne Shepherd
- Play that Funky Music – Wild Cherry
- No Rain – Blind Melon (Gotta love “The Bee Girl.”)
- Meet Virginia – Train
- Bulletproof – Citizen Way
- Shining Star – Earth, Wind, and Fire (Think Elaine dancing on Seinfeld)
- I Love Rock n’Roll – Joan Jett
- Family Affairs – Mary J. Blige
- Here and Now – Letters to Cleo
- Overcomer – Mandisa
- Black Coffee – Squeeze
- Seether – Veruca Salt
- Can’t Stop the Feeling! – Justin Timberlake (Look at these people moving at work!)
- Grace Got You – MercyMe
- Hella Good – No Doubt
- Can’t Stop – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Positively Lost Me – Rave Ups
- Life’s Been Good – Joe Walsh
- Lucky Star – Madonna
- New Sensation – INXS
- The River – Jordan Feliz
- Everlong – Foo Fighters
- Freedom! ’90 – George Michael
- Brian Wilson – Barenaked Ladies
- Chicken Fried – Zac Brown Band
Get movin’ and make those dishes and piles of clothes disappear in a flash and do something fun! Who knows, you might even find you had a little fun doing housework!
Leave a comment about songs on your playlist and be entered to win a $10 iTunes gift card. (I’ll email the winner the access code at the end of October.)
Until next time…..Be Well!!